View all images of West Branch Library
|1912||Library is built as a Carnegie Library|
The West Branch library, along with the East Branch one, was built with funds dedicated by Andrew Carnegie. Both libraries were formally dedicated and opened to the public on January 1, 1913. The West Branch library is situated in the West Side Park on Franklin Street, site of the annual West Side Nut Club Festival.
A sizeable renovation completed in December 2003 restored the library's interior to its orginal splendor. one of evansvilles valuable cultural and architectural resources, this beaux arts library builging, along with a twin on the city's east side, was the result of the philanthropy of Pittsburgh steel magnate andrew carnegie. Carnegie funded construction of both facilities, stipulating that the city was to provide books and maintain the premises. The endeavor to obtain carnegie funding for the west side facility was begun in 1909 with the west side business association spearheading the movement. the building was completed in late 1912 on a block of city-owned land dedicated in the 1837 Lamasco Plat for park purposes. the architects of the $25,000 structure were clifford shopbell & company, who produced a rectangular massing of red brick and limestone enhanced by rich, classically-inspired terra cotta ornamenation imported from chicago