View all images of Holy Trinity
|1849-51||Church is built|
|1873||Front rebuilt and steeple added|
|1950||Fire destroys church and present builing is erected|
Holy Trinity was not regarded as a separate congregation until 1851 and was used exclusively by the German-speaking Catholics. Before that the Catholics of all different languages attended the Assumption Church. The first resident pastor was Rev. Francis X. Kutassy who came to Evansville in 1848. He organized the Holy Trinity parish and built the church. In 1849 the corner stone was laid by Bishop de St. Palais but on account of the ravages of the cholera, the work was not completed until 1851.
In 1855 the parsonage was built which cost $1,500.
Stained glass windows were put in the new church in 1867 at the cost of $2,700. Chimes were put in the tower of the church which cost $5,000.
In 1853 the Sisters of Providence came to teach the children of the Holy Trinity parish and in 1860 a school was built for the girls only. (convent?)
In 1869 the old one-room parochial schools (1852 & 1863) were torn down and a new school was erected.
1873 the front of the church was rebuilt and a grand tower and spire were erected
The old parsonage was torn down around 1912 and the new rectory was erected.
A fire destroyed the church on Easter weekend April 3, 1950. Lightning struck the building overnight, and it burned to the ground. Services were temporarily held in the former school building until the present church was built.
Holy Trinity was designated as Pro-Cathedral for the diocese in 1965 after Assumption was torn down.
In 1999, the diocesan cathedral was moved to St. Benedict.
When Holy Trinity burned down, St Mary became the oldest church (building) in Evansville. It is the still the oldest Catholic parish in town.