Search

Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Neighborhoods

Akin Park*
Alvord Blvd*
Angel Mounds
Armstrong
Ashland Place
Avon Place
Avondale
Ballard
Bankers' Row
Baptisttown
Barker's Landing
Bayard Park*
Belknap
Bellemeade*
Beverly Heights
Blankenburg
Boehne Camp*
Boxtown
Bunker Hill
Burdette Park*
Business 41
CCIA
CHAIN
Corky
Cotton Mill Block
Courtenay
Creekville
Crossroads
Culver
Cypress
Cypressdale
Darmstadt
Davy
Day's Block
Day's Row
Daylight
Dogtown
Downtown
Earle
Elliott
Erskine Station
Euphoria
Evansville State Hospital*
Fair Grounds
Fairplay
Forest Park*
Garvin Station
Gear Town
Germantown
Goosetown
Graff's Row
Greekville
Harwood
Haynie's Corner
Helfrich
Highland
Hookerville
Hornville
Howell
Hull's Hill
Igleheart Station
Independence
Ingle Station
Inglefield
Ingleside
Jacobsville
Jimtown
Kasson
Kratzville
Lamasco
Lincoln Heights
Lincolnshire*
Little Vandy
Littleton Point
Lockharts Point
Lock and Dam 48*
Lombard Avenue*
Lorraine Park
Maple Crest
Maplewood
Martin
Martin's Landing
McCoys Row
McCutchanville
McCuthan Station
Mechanicsville
Mesker Park*
Meyer Station
Midtown
Midway
Mt. Auburn
Mud Center
Newtonville
Nisbet
North Main
Oakdale
Oakdam
Olmstead
Rahm
Red Bank
Riverside*
Rosedale
Rose Hill
Rowleytown
STAR
St. George
St. Joseph
St. Wendel
Saundersville
Shawnee Heights
Smithland
Smyrna
Smythe
Springdale
Stacer
Stahlhoefer Shotgun
Stockwell
Stringtown
Suhrheinrich's Row
Sullivanstown
Sunny side row
Tekoppel
Union Place
Unionville
Vaughn
Verona
Vienna
Villa Sites
Washington Avenue
Washington Terrace
Western Terrace
Wheeler
Wilcox
Zipp
* - National Register Historic District

Akin Park

After the old Evansville Fairgrounds closed in 1912, the land was developed into lots around a 10-acre wooded area. William M Akin, president and founder of Akin-Erskine Milling Co helped organize the neighborhood. In 1914 the area was platted to include several houses facing the park and other nearby blocks. The park was renamed Akin Park in his honor.

The Akin Park neighborhood association covers the greater park area and is bounded by Washington Ave, Kentucky Ave, Covert Ave, and US-41.

View the United Neighborhoods of Evansville (UNOE) - Akin Park page



Alvord Blvd

The Alvord Boulevard neighborhood association covers all houses along Alvord Blvd from Lloyd Expy to Washington Ave

View the United Neighborhoods of Evansville (UNOE) - Alvord Boulevard page



Angel Mounds

Angel Mounds was a prehistoric Native American site in Knight Township

For more visit Angel Mound's website



Armstrong

AKA: Crossroads / Cross Roads, Armstrong Crossroads / Armstrong Cross Roads, Armstrong Station

Though Armstrong shares the name of the township it's in, it was originally a unique town/village. Founded c1869, it originally appears in the 1871 atlas centered at the major intersection of Cynthiana Rd (IN-65) and Boonville-New Harmony Rd. In the 1876 atlas, the town was labelled as Crossroads.

In 1881, the Peoria Decatur & Evansville Railroad built through the area with a crossing near where Armstrong Rd T's into Cynthiana Rd. By the time the 1899 atlas was completed, the map shows Armstrong centered at this train stop showing the railroad's influence on the town. The old Armstrong Cross-roads post office store blacksmith shop were abandonded by 1889.

Today, a little commercial building is all that remains of Armstrong, and the city limit signs, located immedaitely on either side of the tracks, indicate how small of a town it was. The Armstrong Community Center, and the school it used to be, is tied to the township and not the town itself.

More info about the Armstrong RR stop at the PD&E fan site

Armstrong Township
Kasson Quad

See Armstrong on a map



Ashland Place

Continuation of end of Upper 1st St
neighborhood or just street?



Avon Place

Continuation of end of Upper 2nd St
neighborhood or just street?



Avondale

View Avondale webpage



Ballard

Neighborhood Association bound by Lloyd Expy, US 41, Lincoln, and Evans (extended to Division). Ballard St was a street that ran east from Garvin St to Grand Ave and is now part of E Cherry

View the United Neighborhoods of Evansville (UNOE) - Ballard page



Bankers' Row

AKA: Banking Row

Fourth St between Locust and Vine. In 1929 it had 8 financial institutions with 3 more planned



Baptisttown

AKA: Baptist Town

black illiterate congregated near the defunct W&E canal known by early 1880s as baptisttown roughly 44% of evv black population 1880 centered at 8th and canal enclave known as baptisttown by 1890s 80% baptisttown - 8th and canal and lincoln liberty baptist Memorial Baptist Canal 8th/canal Baptisttown was the name given to the surrounding neighborhood (now substanitally leveled) where Evansville's largest black community settled. Liberty Baptist is the oldest extant black congregation in Evansville. As immigrants settled primarily around the church, the area became known as "Baptist Town." The church provided leadership in the religious, social, and political life of the citys black community. inner city lincoln gardens 1936 one of first federal slum clearance proj in county (wpa) lincoln-governor area predominately black streets canal between 5th and 11th oak between 6th and 8th lincoln beyond 7th gordon/douglas/bell/reilly/mitchell/church/sumner near old canal oak and chestnut alleys also baptistown



Barker's Landing

union twp ohio river e end of meritt dr



Bayard Park

Gum, Kentucky, Blackford and Garvin Sts white collar bellemeade-bayard park bellemeade washington garvin us41 federal funding starting 1976 to revitalize

View Bayard Park district



Belknap

Also Belknap Station l&n rr stop 1870s, Belknap Populated Place Vanderburgh West Franklin 443 feet 37.983N 87.688W hogue rd and creamery still around 1899

See Belknap on a map



Bellemeade

Neighborhood association bounded by Bellemeade/Bayard Park - lincoln garvin wash us41



Beverly Heights



Blankenburg

View Blankenburg webpage



Boehne Camp

Historic district around the old tuberculosis camp on Boehne Camp Road

See Boehne Camp on a map



Boxtown



Bunker Hill



Burdette Park

Historic District centered around the Burdette Park

See Burdette Park on a map



Business 41

Old Dixie Bee/Hwy 41. Now Business 41 - neighborhood association encompasses kentucky lloyd us41 pigeon creek centered around old N Fares Ave



CCIA

AKA: Center City

Center City Improvement Association (CCIA) is a neighborhood association bounded by 8th St to M L King Jr Blvd to Mulberry St to 8th St to Liberty Way to Lincoln Ave to Garvin St to the alley behind Washington Ave (not including north side of the street). It closely aligns to the old Baptisttown area

View the United Neighborhoods of Evansville (UNOE) - CCIA page



CHAIN

Cedar Hall Association for Improvement of the Neighborhood (CHAIN) is a neighborhood association serving the Cedar Hall School area. Its borders reach from Columbia St to Seventh Ave to Franklin St to Fulton Ave to Tennesee St to First Ave to Pigeon Creek. It primarily consists of the Blankenburg area but includes some residences in the Lamasco area.

View the United Neighborhoods of Evansville (UNOE) - CHAIN page



Corky

Corky was a section in southwestern Union Township named after its Irish settlers. Union Township School No 5 was nicknamed Corky School as it served this area.



Cotton Mill Block

AKA: Cotton Mill Row

Housing at the former Evansville Cotton Mill (now Mead Johnson). Two buildings in a row just south of the main building were tenements for employees of the mill.



Courtenay

See Belknap. Courtenay in 1888 crams map, lines up with Belknap



Creekville

Settlement of furniture plants and lumber mills on the pigeon creek near the river including Armstrong Brothers furniture and Reitz Sawmill. Referenced in an old Press article (8/26/1961)



Crossroads

See Armstrong Crossroads



Culver

Madison Ave., Riverside Dr., Emmett and Venice Sts Culver - shawnee/adams se riverside (including sw side) riverside garvin madison 2nd

View Culver district



Cypress

See Dogtown



Cypressdale

See Dogtown



Darmstadt

Town in Scott Township at the intersection Boonville-New Harmony Rd and Princeton Rd founded 1822 / established 1859 named after immigrants from area or germany or just because of german heritage never incorporated or platted

incorporated as town 1973 to avoid evansville



Davy

armstrong twp Boonville-New Harmony Rd east of Bender Rd at old rr track CCC&Stl evansville branch c1910 THE EVANSVILLE MT CARMEL AND NORTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY 1934 atlas bnh and st joe in 1959 map near school no 4 foreman named it after a crew member named davis nicknamed davy



Day's Block

days block sw side canal bet 10th and governor



Day's Row

days row ne side canal bet 10th and governor



Daylight

57 and green scott - daylight 1890s (rr & north green river) applied for PO as grimwood but not allowed Greenwood first appears c1896 Evansville & Indianapolis Railroad



Dogtown

AKA: Cypress, Cypressdale

Also Cypress http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/sep/14/meet-you-at-dogtown/ Cypressdale shows up in the 1871 and 1875 atlases, c1889 po blacksmith shop and small store but is located more inland near the old Sacred Heart Catholic church. No specific town appears in the 1880 atlas, though there is a mention of a 'signal light' (cypress dale rd extends to river) ? alreay moved? 1884 flood destroyed buildings maybe to blame for move or Railroad built 1885 helped bolster the stop

In 1899just cypress in 1899 and located present location (henderson and cypress dale) inn built 1889 as cypress po and saloon to serve travelers on the railroad technically the south side of cypress dale at henderson rd; cypress po and smithy on e (ne) side The Dogtown Inn was the former post office and saloon po closed 1915 dogtown came later Dogtown showed up around 1880s as a nickname for the area since there "were about as many dogs as people" 1946 map still cypress



Downtown

Downtown business district Main St. bet. 2nd St. and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., 4th St., vet. Sycamore and Chestnut St. downtown http://www.historiclandmarks.org/news/2004_10Most/10most04-1.html http://www.historiclandmarks.org/news/2003_10Most/10most03-2.html http://www.historiclandmarks.org/news/2002_10Most/10most02-1.html



Earle

scott - earle boonville nw and petersburgh aka gabtown (good conversation) named after john earle early settler The Hornets Nest (built late 1800s, burned, rebuilt 1930) has Earle, IN address. The old Earle school, now gone



Elliott

hwy 57 south of base line rd near bend in interstate rr stop on old Evansville & Indianapolis Railroad at co line rd near baseline



Erskine Station

center - erskine station (rr stop) petersburg and 41 erskine stataion where petersburg rd crossed RR princeton rd? tied to akin-erskine mill?



Euphoria

area near hornville tavern (per website)



Evansville State Hospital

state hospital http://www.historiclandmarks.org/news/2006_10Most/10most06-3.html http://www.historiclandmarks.org/news/2005_10Most/10most05-4.html http://70.249.101.224/news/2005_10Most/10most05-4.html



Fair Grounds

fair ground on e&th rr sec16 between morgan and pigeon creek fairgrounds in 1875 atlas knight twp



Fairplay

Historic Post Office sw sec16 (1875) in 1880 and 1899 atlases



Forest Park

AKA: Forest Park / Forest Hills / Reitz Hill / Coal Mine Hill

* - barker and penn



Garvin Station

garvin sta rr and burkhardt looks like Carvin in one of the maps at school #11 burkhardt sta 1876 atlas



Gear Town

AKA: Gear District

illiterate - south of division between fulton and downtown area penn pearl 2nd ave water later became gear town Evansville's red light district It was located in 1st, 2nd and High Streets also referenced as the tenderloin



Germantown

See Kasson



Goosetown

Goosetown - mulberry mlk/7th 8th washington (including north side) garvin madison 2nd adams parrett 4th goosetown - 4th and adams blue collar possibly all the geese in blackford grove adams where 2nd and 3rd meet overflowing water trough attracted geese formerly Goodsell Town possibly shortened version



Graff's Row

graffs row s side governor bet GRR (Riverside) and taylor



Greekville

AKA: Greeksville

greekville/greeksville Greekville, an area which was roughly between Franklin Street on the south, Columbia Street on the north, Harriet Street on the east, and 3rd Avenue on the west. greeksville addition mentioned in 1863 - 1872-3 city directories john greek n s 7th (michigan) e of 1st ave 1858 1860-1 u w armstrong furniture (formerly armstrong & greek) factory in greekville e side 1st av b franklin and 7th (mich) greeksville enlargement michigan and virginia from first to oakley (2/3 to edgar)



Harwood

+Harwood Populated Place Vanderburgh Evansville North 387 feet 38.003N 87.575W avon /diamond south west 6th east diagonal road past heildelbach/lafayette (diamond between kratzville and 1st) same as avondale? harwood school harwood yard The Peoria Decatur & Evansville Railroad built through the county in 1881. This station was located Allen Ln Lines used to cross and continue to town and down Devon St (7th Ave) but now merges with other RR (CCC &StL) CCC&Stl evansville branch c1910 THE EVANSVILLE MT CARMEL AND NORTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY http://www.thepde.info/Stations/HarwoodYard.htm



Haynie's Corner

2nd and adams neighborhood shopping center for weathly residentst of 1st st hippie haven Haynie's Drug Store later Woods Drug which burned 1940s featured press 8/5/1981 "the hippies were everywhere. You'd walk out the front door and they'd be lying on your lawn" - maraget hammond 1981 then owner 1119 parrett Goosetown used for area c1980 as part of revival Goosetown actually predates Haynie's corner



Helfrich

Helfrich? - near helfrich park st joe maryland (including park and school) helfrich lane# mt vernon marine illinois



Highland

+Highland Populated Place Vanderburgh Evansville North 482 feet 38.040N 87.573W 41 near airport / kratzville and first aka "little switzerland" platted fridy place sw corner of owensville/kratzville and outer first ave Evansville & Princeton Traction Line passed along area

highland inn highland sanitarium highland school 1946 map shows as uncorporated community



Hookerville

hooker school-hooker german meth blacksmith shop never really school closed church reorgs no development fell into disuse



Hornville

baseline and owensville rd 1946 map shows uncorporated community hornville tavern site says area was euphoria hornville school was near immanuel lutheran (scott) in 1946 map hornville st joe and base line



Howell

View Howell webpage



Hull's Hill

Hull's Hill was on the south side of Lincoln Ave E of McCormick and W of Kentucky Ave niednagel floral



Igleheart Station

AKA: Iglehart Station

kansas rd crossed RR Igleheart Milling Co established and office for purchase of grain spelled iglehart in c1896 map and 1899 atlas Evansville and Indianapolis Railroad (E & I RR)



Independence

View Independence webpage



Ingle Station

center - ingle station (rr stop) (NOT IN CENTER) Evansville and Crawfordsville RR, later the Evansville & Terre Haute RR ealy 1850s evansville and terre haute late 1870s road running west from john ingle property



Inglefield

AKA: AKA: Ingle Station /Inglefield (1875 Atlas), Ingles (1859 RR map, 1863), Ingle

scott - inglefield (e&th rr stop) Inglefield Populated Place Vanderburgh Evansville North 472 feet 38.108N 87.559W S formerly sandersville (listed this way in old book but actually separate SEPARATE) See 1880 Inglefield street map See 1899 Inglefield street map

first appears in 1852 map official town c1866/1869 rr built 1853 surpassed saundersville

post office 1869 likely named after john ingle and ingle station



Ingleside

Ingleside was the area between Barker Ave and Lower Mt Vernon Rd (Broadway Ave) situated between the city and Howell. It was possibly named after Ingleside Coal Mines that were nearby at the foot of what is now Reitz Hill ingleside shaft 1875 map Barker extended north between 1880 and 1890 probably platted between then first mentioned 1891 as a location describe in 1892 CD n side of Lower Mt Vernon Rd between St Joseph Ave and Howell ne of Howell between Barker and Lower mt vernon ingleside school served the neighborhood



Jacobsville

View Jacobsville webpage



Jimtown

Jimtown was a blue collar neighborhood centered at Virginia St and Garvin St. east missouri, east louisiana, east oregon between morton and garvin jimtown bar at ne corner of virginia and garvin near delaware school



Kasson

germantown G platted c1838 j w lilliston never materialized first appears 1852 to 1860 shows in 1871 and 1875 atlases as same as Kasson The old Five Mile House served as the Kasson Post Office german - kasson c1880 38.017, -87.636 The Kasson School and there is an old sign Kasson School kasson sign on new harmony road near harmony way Y appears to be germantown 1946 map shows germantown a bit south of kasson German Township Kasson Quad



Kratzville

+Kratzville Populated Place Vanderburgh Evansville North 433 feet 38.023N 87.586W mill road and kratzville kratzville rd mentioned as small village in 1880 atlas notes first appears in 1888 map as krattville mill rd c1903 usgs map



Lamasco

View Lamasco webpage



Lincoln Heights

AKA: Iriquois Garden

lincoln heights - around cameron mansion iriqouis garden - lloyd green river lincoln congress (including w side) area around Cameron Mansion



Lincolnshire

Historic district confined to houses on willow? Greater Lincolnshire - lincoln lodge wash us41
View Lincolnshire district



Little Vandy

AKA: Little Evansville

little vandy or little evansville parkland ave to pigeon crk between heidelbach and Kentucky typical of evansville politically mostly vacant after wwII another north side 9-2-1981 press



Littleton Point



Lockharts Point

lockharts pt 1880 bend in old henderson rd just n of newman rd



Lock and Dam 48



Lombard Avenue



Lorraine Park

Lorraine Park? - wash weinbach covert boeke Lorraine/Lorain Park, Boeke and Adams just south of Ross Center and site of a city swimming pool: Was the park named after a dragline or steam shovel that was parked there for quite a while in the early fifties? "Lorain" was a brand mane, like Bucyrus, on the counterweight on the back of the cabin of the machine. Maybe, maybe not.



Maple Crest

residential development c1904 2d st car



Maplewood

residential development near lodge school c1940



Martin

Populated Place Vanderburgh Kasson 430 feet 38.124N 87.674W near bend in martin station rd http://www.thepde.info/Stations/Martin.htm The Peoria Decatur & Evansville Railroad built through the county in 1881. This station was located where the railroad crossed baseline Rd. The few houses on Wendel St are all that remain of the community. first appears in 1899 atlas Armstrong Township Kasson Quad



Martin's Landing

Martin's Landing union twp ohio river e end of king rd



McCoys Row

se side canal bet governor and mccormick



McCutchanville

center - mccutchanville on old petersburg rd 1830s McCutchanville Populated Place Vanderburgh Evansville North 495 feet 38.064N 87.524W C

McCuthan Station

center - mccutchan station (rr stop) whetstone crossed RR The Evansville & Indianapolis Railroad built through the county in ?. This station 38.049554,-87.517955 ?aka cavins sta map shows



Mechanicsville

See Stringtown



Mesker Park

Originally Oak Summit Hill



Meyer Station

AKA: Mayer Station

Meyer Station was established in 1881 when the Peoria Decatur & Evansville (P D & E) RR built through the county. It was located where the railroad crosses Kuebler Rd next to the Meyer/Mayer farmstead and was little more than a stop. The nearby German Township School No. 5 was also called Mayer School



Midtown

"Midtown" was referenced in old Courier article as the area near the Civic Center project at 7th and Main. It probably consisted of area around Main St between 7th St (M L King Jr Blvd) and Division (Lloyd Expy).



Midway

4th between walnut and chestnut black neighborhood



Mt. Auburn

View Mt. Auburn webpage



Mud Center

illiterate mud center - south of middle mt vernon and red bank near RR from broadway to the creek



Newtonville

div and ky morris and annie newton black community east of ky south of division later part of rosedale http://local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=888885 press feature 7/29/1981 http://web.usi.edu/boneyard/newtonville.htm

newtonville n side slaughter ave e of kentucky



Nisbet

The Evansville Mt. Carmel & Northern Railway built through the county c1910. This station was built where the railroad crosses Nisbet Rd. The Cleveland Cincinnati Chicago & St. Louis Railroad (CCC & Stl RR) operated the Evansville Branch that ran from Mt Carmel to Evansville named after crew suprvisorwho built rr (1912 rr stop) Nisbet Populated Place Vanderburgh Cynthiana 436 feet 38.146N 87.653W nisbet http://www.historiclandmarks.org/feature/feature1002.html Nisbet Inn was soon built to accomodate for the needs of travelers CCC&Stl and Nisbet Rd CCC&Stl evansville branch c1910 THE EVANSVILLE MT CARMEL AND NORTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY nisbett



North Main

sullivanstown?



Oakdale

AKA: Sandpit

taylor - judson - campbell enclave oakdale school also Oakdale-Sweetser between green river rd and river (e riverside) governor st / sweetser? glenwood Glenwood - riverside kentucky veterans memorial http://www.unoevansville.org/Neighborhoods/Glenwood.htm southlane (vet mem pkwy), riverside, ky



Oakdam

AKA: Oakdam PO

ne near elliot where petersburg intersects 57 Also Oak Dam first appears 1871 atlas mentions as post office in 1880 atlas notes Old Oakdam School is a throwback the the old town 38.132232,-87.477783



Olmstead

Identified as Olmstead's Division in the 1890 map, this area was on Stringtown Rd just south of Pigeon Creek. As the city expanded it eventually merged into the the north side. The old Olmstead School and new Olmstead School (now Henry Reis) and Negley's Mill are sites hinting at the area's past.
Originally defined as Diamond Ave north to Pigeon Creek, the area now extends south to Maxwell Ave. Kentucky Ave is the eastern border.

This area closely aligns with the Diamond/Stringtown Neighborhood Association.

View the Olmstead district.



Rahm

rr stop rahm sta The Henderson Bridge Co built a train bridge built 1885 in 1899 atlas in 1934 atlas in 1946 map in 1974 atlas



Red Bank

red bank north of broadway and middle mt vernon



Riverside

historic district Considered an affluent area, the Riverside district showcases Evansville's finest homes. The rich riverside/water 1st (featured press 8-19-1981) 2nd southlane walnut 3rd parrett North Riverside South
View Riverside district



Rosedale

Rosedale - division near willow blue collar rosedale south lloyd 41 lincoln Rotherwood north (garvinwood and part of bus 41)

3 blocks n and s of division http://local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=883170 (jul 1981) rosedale theater bet 41 and weinbach rosedale s side slaughter ave 1/4 mi e of kentucky Now rosedale south and garvinwood neighborhoods



Rose Hill

rose hill - possible neighborhood stringtown and Pfeiffer maybe just cemetery name



Rowleytown

rowleytown - rowley st? jimtown? streets in area include st john (), rowley () william, olive, market, centre () john, canal, ... ann , walnut, smith st,garvin listed in 1868-9 1870-1 1872-3 city directories rowleytown meat market 301 william (1886) looks like distinct area in 1880 map



STAR

STAR - lloyd first tenn fulton stands for ST. Anthony's Revitalization neighborhood



St. George

center - st george (rr stop) Evan where The Evansville & Indianapolis Railroad built through the county in ? This station was located where the railroad crossed St George Rd nothing



St. Joseph

AKA: Saint Joe / St. Joe / St Joe, St Joe's, St Joe County

german - st joseph st joseph and st wendel c1820 as henson settlement? nicholas long Saint Joseph Populated Place Vanderburgh Kasson 548 feet 38.066N 87.647W G saint joseph st joseph church first on 1871 atlas



St. Wendel

AKA: Saint Wendel, St. Wendell's / Saint Wendell's / St Wendell's (1888 RR map), St. Wendells / Saint Wendells / St Wendells (1898 RR map), St. Wendels / Saint Wendels / St Wendels (1974 atlas)

armstrong - st wendel 1850s st wendel church Saint Wendel 38.106, -87.697 http://www.thepde.info/Stations/Wendel.htm church is in posey county, majority of town st wendell's Established 1837 on the border of Vanderburgh and Posey Co by Catholic families living in Armstrong Township wendel wasem who contributed to building the cath church

See Armstrong Township Kasson Quad



Saundersville

est 1817 by saunders honbrook settler 1819 state rd goes through saundersv spurring growth bnh built 1820-1 connected town with new harmony and warrick appears in 1839 to 1863 maps as sandersville (no "U") phased out starting 1837 financial crises when railroad favors nearby inglefield rr built 1853 to the west scott - saundersville (laid out by john ingle 1819, state road and B-NH) saunders hornbrook built cotton gin and buildings erected nearby appearance of a village first town in scott twp po 1822/1823 sandersv mispelled during gvt regis. samuel scott first postmaster (scott twp) john ingle postmaster next year inglefield on old sanderville site (1910 VC history) 1946 map shows old settlement just sw of ingefield out of favor by 1830 but po remained as monument of sorts



Shawnee Heights

shawnee heights between n harmony road and cynthiana red bank wimbert (wimberg), young, barker (), hartig, anna, biechman (reichman) 37.99484370650235 -87.61579513549805 os|fFtgvuO`RoMnOfQdFl`AkXnFsQae@?ad@ BBBBBBB



Smithland

View Smithland webpage



Smyrna

Smyrna was a town situated near the Erie Canal in Knight Township. It was platted by William Parker in 1837. It fell out of favor once the canal failed and eventually faded away (gone by 1910). Today there is no trace of Smyrna.

It appears in some older maps between 1852-1863 1946 map shows old settlement w/sw of smythe From S (Canal) to N - Canal St, First St, Second St, Third St, Fourth St From E to W - Park? St, Washington St, Van Buren? St, Jefferson St



Smythe

AKA: Smyth, Smyth's Station

knight - smyth's station (along rr/canal) rr and green river in 1880 atlas different than smyrna Smythe School Smythe Tile Factory Smythe Populated Place Vanderburgh Newburgh 390 feet 37.991N 87.493W green river and morgan Smyth first appears 1896 maps



Springdale

Springdale - included fligeltaub and Lincoln Cotton Mill area article about cleanup of area 8/14/1960 name possibly from old pigeon springs, spring factory?



Stacer

AKA: Nashua (various maps 1858-1872), Nash's Depot (1871 atlas), Stacey's Station / Nash's Depot (1875 Atlas), Staeers / Nash Depot (1876 Atlas), Stacers

Nashua was a railroad stop on the old Evansville & Crawfordsville RR. It appears in maps as far back as 1858.

In the 1870s, the railroad stop was called Nash's Depot and Stacers scott - stacer station e&th rr stop post office run by nash?

1858 frederick staser german

453 feet 38.149N 87.567W Scott Township Haubstadt Quad



Stahlhoefer Shotgun

*stahlhoefer shotgun



Stockwell

Robert Stockwell bought land in 1816 Stockwell Rd and Stockwell Inn Wesselman Park was formerly known as Stockwell Woods and Stockwell School is named after him




Stringtown

AKA: Mechanicsville, Zipp, Zipps

Stringtown was founded in the 1800s as Mechanicsville. <1829 in VCH At end of Stringtown Road. This was a critical intersection to people coming in and out of Evansville. Old State Road continued north to Princeton and Petersburg Road headed northeast to McCutchanville and ultimately on to Petersburg good place for wagon shop and blacksmith rivalry between stringtown and newburgh cabinet making establishment, blacksmith shops shoe shops wagon making repair shops tailor shop and 2 tanneries by 1837. negleys mill many of old buildings near mill, gone by 1890s same as mechanicsville east side of stringtown and mill 3 1/2 miles from ev center - mechanicsville / stringtown now in city appears in 1839 map up until 1888 not in 1899 map c1903 usgs map at mill (just school? zipp at petersburg rd) http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-14/news/mn-42715_1_ghost-town

A post office was established in 1881, and the first postmaster was Frank Zipp Jr. This led to the name change to Zipp in 1894- As the town became an extension of the city the name Stringtown came into being strung together in a line Stringtown Rd Stringtown School Near hamilton golf course 479 feet 38.034N 87.562W C stringtown and petersburg rd 479 feet 38.021N 87.562W C zipp Center Township Evansville North Quad



Suhrheinrich's Row

e side governer bet taylor and Green River Rd (Riverside Dr)



Sullivanstown

AKA: Sullivantown

streets in 1858 dir northern enl. referenced in 1860-1 1863 1865 1866-7 1868-9 1870-1 1872-3 city directories (sullivantown in one spot 1865 cd) several residents with sullivan surname streets adams st, hamilton st, jefferson st, washington st, ...ann all renamed as part of 1873 street rename



Sunny side row

n side w maryland between 10th and st joe



Tekoppel

Tekoppel

Tekoppel School and Tekoppel General Baptist Church Tekoppel Place SW from Hogue and Tekoppel shows up as neighborhood in 1946 map south closer to claremont



Union Place

a continuation of water/riverside St where road narrows



Unionville

LOCATION => intersection of Seminary Rd and Duesner Rd Unionville was laid out in 1820 by Joseph McDowell. The town, however, never developed and today nothing remains 1946 map shows old settlement at SE corner duesner and happe

See Unionville on a map



Vaughn

AKA: Vaughan

rr stop rr and Duesner train bridge built 1885 appears 1899 atlas vaughan Sometime after 1934 the second "A" was dropped and the old railroad crossing is now Vaughn



Verona

In 1839 map Union township Along Henderson Rd somewhere near where Newman Rd intersects Last appears in 1865 map No trace left possibly wiped out by flooding?



Vienna

german - vienna (new harmony road and vienna rd) platted 1838 john morgan overly ambitious settlement of nearly 200 lots still around 1899 atlas reverted to corn fields vienna G gone



Villa Sites

villa sites - south of riverside near lodge illiterate Villa Sites was a rather depressed area - call it a slum - on the southeast side, but I am unsure of the boundaries redeveloped parkside terrace subdivision 1970s next to city landfill (across lodge to west) lilac/van bibber east side of lodge anthony c oats park/pool



Washington Avenue

The Washington Avenue Historic Diswhite includes several turn-of-the-century homes of Evansville's white collar workers. Primarily focused on houses on Washington Ave, the district includes several other streets. spurred by streetcar service late 1800s madison, grand, gum, parrett wash ave http://www.historiclandmarks.org/news/2007_10Most/10most07-8.html http://www.historiclandmarks.org/SavingPlaces/10Most/Pages/WashingtonAvenueHD.aspx http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/feb/13/local-strip-is-placed-on-historic-at-risk-list/
View Washington district



Washington Terrace

washington terrace alvord from lincoln to washington



Western Terrace

western terrace - north side upper mt vernon craig to helfrich subdivision on west side off of Upper Mt Vernon



Wheeler

Wheeler / wheeler drive - walnut 8th mulberry 4th parrett adams/shawnee ohio river



Wilcox

The Peoria Decatur & Evansville Railroad built through the county in 1881. This station was located just north of where the railroad intersected with Orchard Rd. Now an overpass Nothing remains. Wilcox is near the top of a hill that is the toughest to climb on this part of the line. The IC often used helper engines here. In 1940, it often took an hour or more to push a train over the hill. Wilcox appears to have been nothing but the location where the helper service cut off. orchard rd and RR (w of fischer) 1934 atlas http://www.thepde.info/Stations/Wilcox.htm train added 1881



Zipp

See Stringtown