Approximate map of Avondale
Avondale was on First Avenue just north of Pigeon Creek and identified as a blue collar neighborhood. There is mention
of an Avondale mine shaft in the 1875 atlas, but it first appears as a town in the 1880 atlas. Still the area doesn't
seem to have been developed until the 1910s.
The streets were renamed during the renumbering in 1929 to align with those from the city to
the south. The following table summarized the name changes.
|OLD STREET NAME||NEW STREET NAME
|Dunk Ave||Oakley St
|Ardee Ave||Edgar St
|Burrell Ave||Mary St
|Saunders Ave||Harriet St
When Diamond Expressway was built through the area in the 1950s, it caused the downfall of Avondale. The highway
split the neighborhood in half and houses that weren't razed were now next to a busy thoroughfare.
After further decline, the area bounded by First Ave, Colorado Ave, Pigeon Creek, and Diamond Expy was targeted for
urban renewal in the late 1970s. Most of the residences in the neighborhood were razed, though some of the houses
on the south side of the highway are still standing. The old Avondale area now consists of restaurants, a post office,
and professional offices commonly known as the Diamond Valley area.
View the map of the Harwood district including Avondale
View Avondale 1910
View Avondale 1962
+ Show research notes
avondale shaft in 1875 map (though south of pigeon creek)
avondale Not in 1876 map
Avondale in 1880 Atlas
Avondale in 1899 Atlas
reference to avondale dairy on 1st ave beyond pigeon creek in 1901 cd
Avondale in 1946 map http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/images/item.htm?id=http://purl.dlib.indiana.edu/iudl/images/VAC3073/VAC3073-M-00129&scope=
split when us460 diamond expressway built 1950s
mostly razed during urban renewal late 1970s
renewal area colorado, pigeon creek, diamond, first
the Crossing Apartments on Waterbridge Way is managed by Avondale Associates